Maintaining Optimal Health as a Vegan: Plant Based Bride Feature
Meet our amazing friend Elizabeth from Plant Based Bride. She is a Toronto based musician who is also super passionate about being vegan and her audience adores her! You can check the full blog and more awesome content here!
MAINTAINING OPTIMAL HEALTH AS A VEGAN OF 7 YEARS
One of the most common questions I have received over the past 7 years as a vegan is “How do you get enough [insert macro- or micronutrient here]?” This is a question I have explored in great detail on this blog, with dedicated posts focusing on protein, iron, B12, and so much more.
And while I will always believe that getting your nutrition from whole plant foods is the best first choice, it’s not always a possibility for every person. Whether you live in a food desert with little access to fresh foods or struggle with digestive complications that make eating large amounts of high fiber foods a painful experience, sometimes supplementation is the only answer.
Today I will be sharing with you my favourite vegan gummy vitamins for maintaining optimal health as a vegan of over 7 years!
First things first...
The short answer? They’re delicious. The long answer? They’re delicious, and that makes me want to take them instead of avoiding taking them.
I used to judge myself for being lax about taking my tablet vitamins, thinking that as an adult I should be able to suck it up and do what’s best for my health. But honestly? That only ever worked in short bursts before I would forget for months on end.
As a responsible adult who doesn't eat candy 11 months out of the year (in October all bets are off) taking my daily vitamins in the form of gummies feels like a little treat… and has kept me far more consistent in taking them than I ever have been before!
But not all gummies are created equal, and that’s why today I am sharing the best vegan gummies I have ever tried from the Canadian company, Herbaland!
Herbaland is Canada’s largest nutritional gummy manufacturer with a commitment to providing products that have a positive impact on both people and the planet. Herbaland’s core values are community, inclusivity, and sustainability. Their gummies are always vegan, sugar-free, soy-free, palm oil derivative-free, nut-free, halal, and kosher!
This post is in collaboration with Herbaland, but all opinions are 100% my own. I was taking Herbaland gummies consistently for over a year before I reached out to them, and I continue to take a variety of gummies from their line on a daily basis.
I’m a new vegan/new to supplementation.
What should I start with?
This will obviously vary from person to person, and I don’t know your unique physiology, diet, or goals, but I will share my top three picks to get you started!
As always, it is best practice to consult your physician before beginning to take any supplements and I am not a medical professional and am not qualified to give medical advice.
1. Herbaland Multivitamin Gummies for Adults
Herbaland’s Multivitamin gummies are a great place to start if you want a boost in all major areas. They have 13 essential vitamins and minerals for the maintenance of good health and come in a delicious mixed berry flavour!
Formulated to support daily metabolic processes and for maintaining a healthy immune system, the Herbaland Multivitamins include:
- Vitamin A | vital for growth and development, cell recognition, vision, immune function, and reproduction and helps the heart, lungs, and kidneys to function properly
- Vitamin C | boosts the immune system, helps lower blood pressure and maintain healthy heart function, and improves the absorption of non-heme iron (iron from plant-based sources - learn more here)
• Vitamin D3 | aids in the absorption of calcium and phosphorus and the maintenance of strong bones, helps to reduce inflammation, and aids in maintaining proper immune function
• Vitamin E | aids in the regulation of gene expression, cell signaling, and other cell processes as well as helping to maintain healthy immune function
• Vitamin B6 | promotes healthy heart function and plays a role in cognitive development and aids in proper brain function
• Folate | required for the production of DNA and cell division
• Vitamin B12 | aids in maintenance of healthy nerves and blood cells and helps to prevent megaloblastic anemia (read more about why B12 supplementation is important for vegans here)
• Biotin | plays an important role in the maintenance of healthy hair, skin, and nails
• Panthothenic Acid (B5) | aids in triglyceride synthesis and lipoprotein metabolism
• Iodine | essential for the production of thyroid hormones that regulate many vital biochemical reactions and appears to aid in the body’s immune response and the maintenance of healthy breast tissue
• Zinc | involved in cellular metabolism, wound healing, immune function, DNA and protein synthesis, and cell division *daily intake of zinc is required to maintain healthy levels as the body has no specialized zinc storage system
• Choline | required for the maintenance of our cells’ structural integrity and needed to produce the neurotransmitter acetylcholine which is important for memory, mood, and muscle control
• Inositol | aids in the maintenance of proper brain functioning and blood sugar control
I usually go for the multivitamins when I know I’ve been eating a less than balanced diet to make sure I’m still getting everything I need. It’s a great option for the winter here in Canada when fresh produce is imported and carries with it a hefty price tag and a heavy environmental impact, or whenever I’m too busy to spend a lot of time making fresh meals!
2. Herbaland Vegan D3 and B12 Gummies for Adults
Herbaland’s Vegan D3 and B12 raspberry flavoured gummies are a great option if you already eat a varied and rich diet of whole plant foods. While this kind of diet will leave most of your nutrient bases covered, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D3 are common exceptions to the rule.
Vitamin B12 aids in your body’s metabolic processes and red blood cell formulation and helps to maintain healthy nerves. Vitamin B12 is difficult to get from plant-based sources, and it is often recommended that those on a plant-based diet supplement to maintain healthy levels of this essential vitamin (read more about why B12 supplementation is important for vegans here).
Vitamin D3, synthesized naturally in the skin as a chemical reaction to sun exposure, helps to support the immune system, boost energy, encourage a positive mood, and maintain strong bones and teeth. Many people are deficient in Vitamin D3 due to a lack of exposure to strong sunlight, especially those in the Northern Hemisphere at latitudes greater than around 40°N from October to March, and supplementation is often recommended. These are my holy grail gummies, and I take them every single day come rain or shine!
2. Herbaland Eye Care Gummies for Adults
Herbaland Eye Care gummies are a great add-on to your supplement routine, especially if you spend your days staring at a screen like I do! Formulated with Lutein and Zeaxanthin, two powerful carotenoids, these strawberry flavoured eye care gummies help maintain eyesight in those with cataracts and age-related muscular degeneration and protect the eyes from the harmful effects of sunlight, blue light, and free radicals.
As I grow older and spend more and more of my time looking at screens, eye care is becoming a bigger priority. I have incorporated these gummies into my routine as a preventative measure to keep my eyes as healthy as possible!
What does your supplement routine look like?
I would love to know what vitamins and minerals you take on a regular basis, and if you’ve ever considered switching to gummies to make a chore into a treat!
Until next time...