Continue the summer festivities with these oh-so-good vegan fudgy quinoa brownies!
Recipe courtesy of Connie Leung.
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 2 cups pitted dates, soaked for 10 minutes in warm water
- 1 flax egg (1Tbsp flax meal + 3 Tbsp water)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs or chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line the pan w parchment paper or spray w coconut oil
- In a food processor, add the cooked quinoa, baking powder, cinnamon and blend until you get a sticky dough
- Add the cacao powder, vanilla, and flax egg. Blend until nearly smooth
- Drain the dates and add into the food processor and blend until smooth. Add the date-water if it is too dry
- Add half of the cacao nibs/chocolate chips and blend until combined (you want some chunks!)
- Spread the mixture out evenly w a spatula to about 3/4" thick
- Bake for 25 minutes, then top w the rest of the cacao nibs/chocolate chips
- Bake for another 5 minutes
- Allow it to cool before slicing them into squares
- Substitute peppermint extract instead of vanilla if you want to have chocolate mint
- Substitute the quinoa for bulgar wheat - it gives more texture!
- Dice up some granola bars and stuff them inside before baking
- Placing it in the fridge allows for easier slicing
- Serve w ice cream or fresh seasonal fruit