This time of year, we need extra help to strengthen our immune systems. In fact, because it's cooler out, many believe this is why we get sick this time of the year. Does cold weather weaken your immune system? Truth is, we can be more susceptible to falling ill when the temp drops, but it's not what causes us to be sick.
It all comes down to taking precautions, like washing our hands, not touching our face, and supporting our immune system. There are foundations for maintaining a robust immune system or for improving your immune system.
-a blood sugar balancing diet
-plenty of filtered water
These are just a few that come to mind, but food is a game-changer in supporting and strengthening our immune health. As Hippocrates famously said, "All disease begins in the gut."
And this is the truth! Our gut houses about 70% of the cells that make up our immune system, so implementing healthy gut changes is a great way to support overall immune health. I know this can seem overwhelming, so I want to share some easy changes you can start today!
- Lemon juice and filtered water first thing in the morning. Lemon is beneficial to the gut in many ways. It can help increase stomach acid, which is needed to kill pathogens before they leave the stomach and keep us healthy.
- Whole real foods. These foods nourish the body as they are nutrient-dense. Eating a variety of whole foods is vital; it is the best way to be sure you are receiving all the vitamins and minerals needed by the body to stay healthy. Consider real foods to be immune system-boosting foods!
- Fermented foods. These foods are living bacteria for the gut! They help to populate our guts with a diversity of strains. Variety is critical to building a robust immune system that helps to keep inflammation in the gut under control.
- Fiber! And then more Fibre! I cannot stress this one enough! Fiber is needed to feed our good gut bacteria; these guys are the soldiers in the fight against sickness, and we want to feed them well!
- Limit processed sugars. These are inflammatory in the body, and inflammation is what we want to avoid. Think of when you hurt yourself; it swells, it is red, hot, and irritated. Inflammation in the gut causes a non-health-promoting environment.
Now that we have discussed preventative diet and lifestyle factors for immune health let's talk about immune-supporting supplements.
Herbaland's Immune Boost Gummies are a great everyday add-in to help fend off illness this cold and flu season. They contain vitamin C and zinc, two powerful antioxidants, and are considered some of the best vitamins for a cold. Immune Boost also includes my favorite herbs, echinacea and elderberry extract. These powerful ingredients also help to shorten the duration of symptoms when taken when already sick. Plus, they taste fantastic as they are raspberry lemon flavored!
Vitamin C: an antioxidant, meaning it fights free radicals in the body. Free radicals damage our cells, leaving us vulnerable to illness as they can not function optimally. Vitamin C is a great cold fighter because of this!
Zinc: also an antioxidant, helps as it is needed for all immune cells to function and signal optimally. Therefore, a deficiency can lead to a weakened immune response.
Echinacea: a beautiful pink flower that provides immune-system stimulating support. It has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antioxidant effects. It shortens the duration of a cold and works best if taken as soon as you feel you are coming down with something. Please note: it is immune-stimulating; avoid it if you have an autoimmune condition, AIDS, or MS. Also, avoid if allergic to the daisy flower family. It can interact with some meds; ask your healthcare practitioner.
Elderberry: also contains many antioxidants and vitamins that help boost immune health.
Nutritionist Tip: Elderberry and echinacea work best if taken at the first signs of a cold or flu. So as soon as you feel that 'tickle" of something coming on, take the Immune Boost gummies. Or take them daily, in the form of Herbaland's Immune Boost Gummies as prevention.
These are gummies, but we want to be careful when giving them to children as Herbaland's Immune Boost Gummies are dosed for adults. But guess what, Herbaland also makes a children's immune booster!
Herbaland's Immune Bears for Kids Gummies contain all the same goodness but in children's friendly dosing! And kids love these little health-supporting bears!
Follow these tips, and I promise you and your family you will feel the immune support benefits this cold and flu season. And if you do catch something, make sure to have some Herbaland gummies on hand!
LIMITED EDITION BUNLDE:
Herbaland's Immune Defense bundle might just be your new BFF this cold and flu season! With our three immune boosting gummies, this bundle will support overall immune health and wellness:
- Vegan D3 & B12
- Immune Boost
Featured Blogger: Michelle Vysohlid, Holistic Nutritionist
I'm Michelle, the founder of Eat Well with Michelle & Find Wellness. I am a Holistic Nutritionist with a passion for holistic health & living and sharing how easy this lifestyle can be. I love educating my clients and audience on valuable and practical ways to find wellness in their lives. I will show you how you can heal and thrive one meal at a time! My main focus in practice is gut health, hormones, and metabolic syndrome. Learn more here.
Please reach out to me on social media as I love meeting new friends worldwide that share the same love for living with intention. Hope to hear from you friends!